Monday, January 9, 2012

Chicken and White Bean Soup: Sunday dinner with enought left over for Monday lunch!

Sunday's I enjoy making a big pot of soup for lunch.  It is inexpensive, nutritious and most importantly, delicious. I try to use up ingredients I have on hand.  This week I made a pot of very satisfying Mexican Chicken and White Bean soup.  The best part of Sunday soup is having the leftovers for lunch on Monday.  Enjoy!

Chicken and White Bean Soup
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken cut into 1/2" pieces ( I had thigh on hand but breast would work too)
2 cans small white beans
1 can hominy
1/2 medium onion chopped fine
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 fresh jalapeno seeded and minced
1 can mild diced green chili's
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 cups chicken broth (I like my soup chunky, add more broth if you prefer a thinner soup)
2 Tbs olive oil

Heat the olive oil on medium high in a large soup pot.  Saute the onion, garlic and jalapeno until the onion is soft and just beginning to brown.  Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes, stirring often, until chicken turns white.  Add all of the remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer on low for one hour. Garnish with grated cheese, crushed tortilla chips and avocado. Total cost to make this pot of soup (excluding cumin and chili powder that I had on hand) $10.39. Makes 6 generous servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment